GENERAL INFORMATION AND STRUCTURE
Military Medical Academy (MMA) is the successor to the General Garrison Hospital in the city of Sofia, founded in 1891 by Dr. Georgi Zolotovich, and restructured in 1960 into Higher Military Medical Institute.
The Military Medical Academy was established in 1989, at the Ministry of Defense of Republic of Bulgaria, as an integrated complex for medical care, education and scientific research with the commitment to develop the military medical science, and to provide training, specialization and qualification of the military medical staff for the purpose of ensuring the fighting strength and combat readiness of the Bulgarian Armed Forces, preservation and recovery of the military servicemen’s health.
According to the Decree of Counsel of Ministers No 41 of 21 February 2001 for defining Military Medical Academy as a health care establishment and its specific functions, the MMA comprises the following structures of out-patient and in-patient support: Multiprofile Hospital for Active Treatment – Sofia, Hospital Facility for Active Ttreatment (HFAT) – Varna, HFAT – Plovdiv, HFAT – Sliven, HFAT - Plevens, Hospital Facility of Balneology, Rehabilitation and Prophylaxis (HFBRP) – Hissar, HFBRP - Pomorie, HFBRP - Bankya, medical services in Military Academy “G.S.Rakovski”, and Higher Military Schools, “Security, Military Police and Military Counter-Intelligence Service”, military units of Bulgarian Armed Forces.
The Military Medical Academy includes further the Center of Military Medical Expertise and Aviation Medicine, the Military Medical Detachment for Emergency Response, Research Institute of Radiobiology and NBC protection, Center of Military Epidemiology and Hygiene - Sofia, with units in Plovdiv, Sliven, and Varna.